Tuesday 23 September 2014

Day 18 - Beast to Beauty to Cyborg

Today is Tuesday.
Last night I slept from about 10.30pm until I woke at some unknown time, probably during the Hours of Doom worrying about if I would manage out to my appointment today.
It sounds funny, but I haven't fainted yet; I just wish I would so I could get it over and done with instead of worrying that I'm going to faint when I'm out :D
Had attempted to sleep flat like I would've done prior to surgery, woke up more swollen and chipmunky. Back to head elevated with lots of pillows again tonight then.

Today I am dreaming of either having a huge comfy bed, which has an elevated head part, with big fluffy comfy pillows, or of having a head cacoon.

I'm realising that I'm not missing food as much as I thought I would and that's saying something because I love food! But I am missing things like going out for a meal, or out for a coffee and not having a fancy piece with it. However, today I do fancy pizza. Only another 25 days to go!

Today I had a hospital appointment, this time for ENT. I have been waiting my ENT doctor to refer me to another ENT doctor to find out about getting a bone anchored hearing aid (BAHA).
This was probably my biggest trip out by myself since my surgery yet. My husband dropped me off at the hospital.
When I got there, the ENT doctor I usually see, came to tell me that she had swapped me with a patient on the BAHA ENT doctor's list so I was seeing him instead.
After some discussion, it was decided that I would get an appointment with the BAHA audiologist to see if I'm suitable for a BAHA and to get a trial run of one to see what it will be like. I was a bit reluctant when the idea of getting a BAHA was put to me a few months ago, I wasn't sure about having a hearing aid attached to me permanently and having a metal screw in my head but the more I've thought about it, the more it seems the best option. A month after I have seen the audiologist, I go back to see the ENT doctor to discuss the surgery for that.
Maybe I am a glutton for punishment, so much surgery so close together!
But my goodness I'm going to have a LOT of metal in my head! There's the plates and screws in my jaws, then there will be the metal screw/abutment for my tooth implant and then another metal screw/abutment in my head for a hearing aid!

On previous discussion about a BAHA I did express reluctance at becoming Frankenstein but with all this metal in my head, my husband suggested that I'm going to turn into a cyborg instead. He reckons the title of his blog should be something along the lines of 'Life With My Cyborg Wife' :D

I must admit, I was a little miffed that my usual ENT doctor didn't seem to mention/notice my new look :(

I then walked from the hospital to catch the bus home. This walk usually takes about 5 minutes, today it took 13; I still can't walk too fast. The walk felt like it took forever!
Bus journey home wasn't pleasant; I felt every bump on the road vibrate through my jaw and one particular bump was bordering on painful. That was my first bus journey after my surgery too.

Came home and was very good and got myself comfy on the sofa with plenty of pillows, my blanket and switched on the TV. And there I remained for the rest of the day until supper time. For someone who hasn't watched daytime TV for a very long time, I'm getting quite good at it now :) I watched Undercover Boss USA and 5 episodes of Four In A Bed!
I did not feel good. I actually took some codeine and I haven't taken codeine during the day since the first week.
I really wanted to sleep but couldn't seem to drop off and my whole head just ached. Maybe I was having a headache like anyone would have any way, or maybe it was with being out, or a combination of both.
Really wasn't fit for doing anything else, not even to check emails on the computer.
Took some ibuprofen about 4pm and started to feel better.

I did check emails via my phone and found a work -related email...so they haven't forgotten about me! What I was trying to tell myself about them waiting to give me a schedule once they knew when I'd be back looks to be right
I should've been back to work today for the start of the new academic year. When the email came in, I realised that I want to go to work, I enjoy my job and I miss it. But I can't; my trip out today definitely showed me that I'm not ready to return to work just yet. I'm going to take this as a cue to try and relax more over the next 2 weeks.

Breakfast: Readybrek with mashed banana
Mid morning: mango jelly pot
Lunch: soup and a Cadbury's layers of joy carmellionaire pot
Supper: korma sauce and rice

Today's photos:






No comments: