Sunday 21 September 2014

Day 16 - Weight Loss, Bite and How Far Can I Open My Mouth

Today is a really quiet day. We did have plans to go out for a coffee (well, hot chocolate in my case), because I'm getting a bit cabin fevery, but didn't end up going.
Spent the morning updating and finally catching up to now on my blog.

Today I have had hardly any painkillers so far; only had some ibuprofen first thing and some paracetamol this afternoon. I didn't take codeine before bed last night either. I also didn't sleep elevated last night either, I wondered if I would sleep better getting my head down. I did wake a couple of times thinking I was in the wrong room but dropped off again quite quickly. Woke just before 7am.

Although I have updated my blog, I keep remembering things that I have forgotten. For example, I haven't mentioned weight loss.

So I'll mention it here. Before my surgery, my usual weight was 11st 4lbs (or 158lbs or 72kg), plus or minus a pound or two.
By the time I weighed myself on admission day I was down to 11st (or 150lbs or 70kg).

I was a bit frustrated on day 4, having endured a liquid diet and when I stood on the scales I had lost nothing! I was 11st 4lbs again! But I figure that must have been due to swelling, and the sheer volume of IV fluids and water, etc. Of course I should also listen to what I learnt during my degree at uni and know that it takes about 2 weeks for your energy to balance out.

By the beginning of week 2 I was down to 10st 9lbs (or 149lbs or 67.5kg) so that is 9lbs I have lost in total.
I seem to have stayed the same weight for the duration of this week. I wouldn't mind losing another couple of pounds, then I'll be back to the weight I was before I had my kids!

Breakfast: readybrek with mashed banana through it; it was actually quite tasty and made a nice change.

Lunch: Baxter's minestrone, Parmesan and basil soup, one of their feel fuller longer range soups. I had picked it up in Sainsbury's yesterday. Was really nice soup. I had a vanilla cheesecake for pudding and managed the biscuit base too.
I also noticed that today I can get a tablespoon in my mouth properly now.

This afternoon I made a hot chocolate with squirty cream (instead of going out)

Supper will be cauliflower cheese, I may or may not have mashed potato with it (I'm getting a bit fed up of mashed potato), we'll see.
Edit, supper was a huge plate of cauliflower cheese and I chose to have mash too. Didn't think I would manage it all but was very pleased with myself when I did.

This evening I had the urge to eat again. Like properly eat. It would've been cool if I had had some kind of inspiration and came up with something new and great to eat.
Well, jelly just had to do.

This morning, after updating my blog, I thought I'd take some different pictures so you can get an idea of how my bite is and how far I can open my mouth. I've read on a few blogs about being able to open your mouth according to finger widths and to be honest, that doesn't make much sense to me; everyone has different sized fingers and mouths. So I'll show you how far I can open my mouth.

I also straightened my hair in an attempt to get it to look as if I haven't been pulled through a hedge backwards twice!

Top picture here is my bite today:


This next picture shows my bite on 4th September, the day before surgery. Remember my top jaw was not moved.


I can open my mouth this far:
Surprisingly there is more space to get my toothbrush in between my top and bottom teeth on the right hand side than on the left.

And general pictures for today are:


No comments: