Sunday 26 October 2014

Day 51

Wow! Day 51, that just seems unreal doesn't it. Or let's say 7 weeks and 2 days post op.
Have recovered from being ill and have got my voice back. This past week just wasn't a good week.

Not much to report on my post op situ really.

After the initial yeah I can move to soft chew, the next day I realised that it didn't really mean that much more variety to my diet. A week on though and it is better, I feel more like I'm eating real food now and not just slops. Although I would say that after 6 weeks of no chew it's kinda hard to get out of the habit of eating without chewing so half gets chewed, half goes straight down.

To give examples of foods I've had :

Lasagne (managed the pasta this time)
Fish (don't have to mash/flake it up)
Baked potato without having to mash it and I had hummus with it.
Sandwiches (egg mayo, tuna mayo and grated cheese with hp sauce)
Pasta bake (no meat)
Sausages, mashed potato and baked beans
Pancakes with butter and jam
Scones (ok but more difficult to eat than pancakes)
Softie (aka soft bread roll, morning roll, bap) and this has probably been the most difficult thing to eat and I was definitely achey after eating it. Maybe that was a bit too adventurous.

I did also attempt to eat a banana but my mouth doesn't open wide enough :D :D Oh well!

It has been so nice to have something other than porridge or readybrek for breakfast!
Actually, today I made myself a cooked breakfast for the first time and I thought of it yesterday and was so looking forward to it this morning,
I had: 2 sausages, 1 slice of black pudding, 1 fried egg, baked beans and mushrooms.

Managed everything except for the mushrooms...chewing them was too difficult, I could swallow them without chewing but they weren't very nice that way so I left them. Only things missing from that breakfast were bacon, hash browns and TOAST!

LOL still not allowed toast for another 3-4 weeks yet. I think I'll move on to the toast diet as soon as I can...toast for breakfast, lunch and dinner LOL!

Pain wise, on my left, I wouldn't think I had had surgery, everything feels back to normal.
My right hand side is a different story. I still definitely have pain, I can't tell if it's my jaw, my gums, my lower right canine, inside my lip or what. It corresponds to where (I said in a previous post) the numbest area is. But it is nipping my head! I wouldn't need to take pain meds if it wasn't for this 'bit'.

My bottom lip and chin are still numb on the right hand side. I got my hubby to test my feeling out, he chose to use a skewer out of the kitchen cupboard LOL and we discovered that I can feel pressure but not sharpness on the right hand side.

Haven't had the burning sensation this week but definitely have itching and a feeling of cobwebs on my chin.

Definitely noticing with this colder weather that I need a scarf or else my jaw starts to ache on my right hand side. I had thought the cold was going for my healing bones but then realised the cold was also becoming friends with all this new metalwork in my mouth! I had forgotten about the plates and accompanying screws!








No comments: