Friday 17 October 2014

Day 42 - First Day of Soft Chew Diet

Went to bed early last night with fluffy pillow, hot water bottle and pain meds, including codeine. My goodness my teeth HURT!
Slept til 7am when I woke up with HURTING teeth again.
Got up and took more pain meds and went back to bed for an hour or so.

Then it was time to eat breakfast! PANCAKES!

I put a pancake in the toaster to heat it up and then spread lots of butter on it. Made myself a cup of tea.

And then sat looking nervously at my pancake!



I would say I half chewed, half ate like I have the past 6 weeks, ie no chew.
It wasn't easy, I was nervous and my husband had to tell me to relax lol because I ended up sitting hunched, tense.
It felt weird feeling my teeth bite together when eating, back to the feeling of banging china plates together again.
But I finished it and decided I would have a second pancake.
I think my jaw muscles thought a second pancake was a bit ambitious though, heavy, numb lip feeling soon kicked in.
But I ate 2 pancakes for breakfast!!!!

This morning I took my son to his appointment and since my ortho was there, I got her to have a quick check of my teeth because since I woke up this morning, my bite felt off.
So now I have changed to green elastics both sides.

Yesterday I had forgot to ask her how long I should be on the soft chew diet for, today she told me I have to stay on soft chew for the next 4 weeks.
That opens up a little bit of variety but not lots but that's ok, I don't want to rush it so we'll just take it slow.

For lunch I had an egg mayo sandwich. Oh bread!! I made sure to add extra mayo to the mashed egg so it was a bit runnier than normal and I cut off the crusts from the bread.
And then found I couldn't open my mouth wide enough to fit the sandwich in ROFL!



A little squashing of the sandwich and making sure I took small bites meant I got my sandwich eaten! My husband managed to eat his sandwich and a bowl of soup in the time it took me to eat my sandwich. But slow and steady won the race.

Spent the afternoon just chilling and it was good.

For supper I tried normal sized pasta (shells) with chicken and tomato sauce. Unfortunately, I just couldn't chew, just found myself automatically eating no chew style. I cut off as tiny wee bit of chicken and tried to eat it, but no, my mouth just wasn't ready for that yet, I couldn't chew it, so pasta and sauce it was.
But that's ok, I'll try meat again next week.

Face pics next. Please excuse my jaundice colouring...it's harder to get good light for photos now the darker mornings are coming in.



No comments: