Thursday 16 October 2014

Day 41 - An Hour In The Chair of Torture

Well!
Today I applied for a job first thing this morning.
Then I went to work for 3 hours.
Then I came home and had lunch (mexican omelette again).
Then I was straight out the door to an appointment with my orthodontist.

Usually my ortho ALWAYS runs late but today the dental nurse came out to the waiting room to call for me and had to call me twice because I wasn't paying attention...she knew that I wasn't expecting to be called before my appointment time. It must've been an unusually slow day today in the land of orthodontics.

And then I spent an hour in the chair, a full hour being, what felt like, tortured...although not as bad as the scary 80s horror movie session I did have last year.

First up, checking my bite, open, close, bite together, suck the saliva and swallow, open, close, bite together.

Then she decides on her plan of action.

The top wire comes off, no problems there.

Then the bottom wire comes off for the first time since my surgery. I was nervous, I was tense and quite protective of my lower jaw. The bottom wire did NOT want to come out and the new lighter wire (17.5 steel) did NOT, in any uncertain terms want to go in. It hurt! And I could feel myself pushing myself further and further back into the chair.

Eventually, she got it in only to have to take it out again to put it back in.

Then she dropped the top wire on the floor! By this time I'm thinking 'oh no, we have to start again' and said 'I'll take the bugs from the floor' :D Just don't let us go through all that palaver again.
Thankfully they could just sterilise the wire.

Once out of the chair after the hour, I felt a bit light headed so had to sit back down again.

Today's orthodontic plan:

New lower wire, a lighter one apparently, with some kind of bend in it with wide powerchain too.

Apparently I have a tooth on the top which has rotated 180 degrees but it's going to stay like that because trying to rotate it would be too big a job.

Top wire kept from last time but I now have e-link (sp?) on both sides; one side to keep the teeth in place and the other side to close the gap that has formed between my lateral incisor and canine. Actually, I think this e-link is going to be hauling more than just my canine round a bit, I think it's going to move the canine, and at least a premolar if not a molar as well.
And I have a new configuration of elastics; still orange on the left, running, top canine to bottom molar and still green on the right, running top furthest back molar to bottom canine.

So with new wires, bends in wires, quick ties, spring coil, powerchain AND this new e-link (never had it before), I HURT!!!!!
I can't even bear to bite my teeth together because it is too sore.

I think I'm going to have to take some codeine tonight before bed.
My ortho always tells me that my teeth might feel achy after treatment, but let me tell you, achy just does not do justice to the pain of teeth being forced to move. Achy my foot!







There is some good news though:

After 41 days...tomorrow I CAN PROGRESS TO SOFT CHEW DIET!


I have been told I am allowed to eat things such as well cooked pasta, potatoes (not mashed) and bread (although not toast or crusts).
I forgot to ask how long I have to be on soft-chew for but I'll be seeing my ortho again tomorrow when my son has his appointment so I shall ask her then.


So I have bought some pancakes for my breakfast tomorrow morning.
I have a funny feeling that I won't be able to actually eat them because my teeth are so sore, but I'm most certainly going to be trying (and hopefully not crying).



No comments: