Monday 16 June 2008

Crisps!

I haven't actually updated from when I got braces on til now.
Suffice to say, getting brackets on took approx 20 minutes. Within 10 minutes of leaving hospital, without eating ro drinking anything, one bracket had come off. Went back to ortho who said it was just the way my teeth bite together and he would think of something to do about it next week. I also managed to bite one off the next day by eating a rice cake!
I must say when I was lying on that chair, getting the brackets on I thought Oh My God! What am I doing? I'm not sure I want this? And then spent the next few days thinking i looked awful! By day 2 of just brackets I was ready to go back and get them all taken off. Not that I didn't want the end result of braces and surgery, but I looked awful and maybe reality had set in a tad. I missed my teeth!
But a meal out with my friend Jenny, who reassured me just to give it time and all would be well, turned out to be a good thing.
Getting wires and bands on took 45 minutes. It was a bit like either an auction house or bingo with getting the big molar ring brackets on..size 34, 34.5, 35, 36, 35.5..any advance on 34.5? Then came the lovely molar buildups...ie lumps of cement on my back teeth so I couldn't bite my teeth together....what he had thought to do about biting brackets off the week before! And with wires and pink bands in, it looked so much better!
I actully felt fine the day of wires and bands.
It was the next day that it began to hurt. But I can't say it was REALLY sore either, I don't think I took painkillers.
Every day seems to be different, I've had some days my teeth are sore when they weren't the day before or the day after. I've had days of waking in the morning with my teeth clenched shut (despite the molar buildups). I've had days where my teeth have been tender on biting but not sore any other time. Days when the wires and brackets have ripped by cheeks to shreds, other days they are fine.

The eating seems to be a story though. Anyone that knows me knos I love food, I eat it, I breathe it, I study it for a living LOL First day was soup and ice cream. Then the ice cream became too fine and my tummy thought hmmm I'll just get a bit fatter. So I stopped buying ice cream. I couldn't eat toast, bagels were a pain, biscuits were out, apples out, lettuce and salad out. First few days I was like if the ortho expects me to live on soup and ice cream for the next 3 years he can forget it!
Eventually could progress to pasta and even a kebab! That was divine.
Last thursday I think I managed chilli beef nachos without breaking up the nachos before eating!
The crisps saga began the other week. First week of rbaces I wasn't fussed about them. Second week, Brendan came home from school with a half eaten pack of cheese and onion crisps...oh the smell! I wanted some crisps. I wanted beef crisps! I wanted them for 4 days before actually being brave enough to try them.
And Oh my! what a let down! I could get the flavour but couldn't bite enough to crunch them and was a case of waiting for them to go soggy and swallow. YUCK!

I have now progressed. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since I got wires and bands on. Wo! where has the time gone? And now I can eat toast...albeit my granny stylee..ie fold it in half first :D
I can eat pizza! Had that for supper tonight.
And finally I am now sitting eat a packet of prawn cocktail crisps!!!!! Taking it slowly but boy do they taste good!

No comments: