Wednesday 25 March 2015

The Green Seats

On the 19th February 2015 I had, what I thought, was an appointment with the hygienist.
Great stuff! My teeth can get a really good clean now my braces are off.

I was disappointed that I had some staining on my teeth, the teeth that had the big metal rings that anchored the braces on. I was keen to have this staining removed.

So I was super excited because I was getting to sit in the green seats today instead of in the orange seats. Green seats are for restorative dentistry, orange are for ortho.

I was called in and to my surprise I was seeing the restorative dentist instead.

I got a full teeth health check. No gum disease, surrounding tissue healthy.

He wobbled every tooth individually, most are wobbly, some are grade 1, others grade 2.

Wobbly teeth can be a sign of root resorption. My ortho said on Monday my teeth were wobbly due to being in heavy elastics for so long. Restorative dentist hmmmed.

He said that if my top central incisor remains wobbly, then they will take it out and do a double implant instead.

Then he explained the procedure for getting my implant done.

It will be 90 minutes in the chair, under a local anaesthetic. They will cut my gum, place the screw and then stitch it up and allow it to heal. Then I'll go back at a later date to have the tooth part fitted.

I'm really not looking forward to this. I had hoped this would be a general anaesthetic job.






Then I had 3 x-rays done.
I have 2 caries on the bottom molars where the anchor metal bands of my braces were.

Restorative dentist decided to fill one of them there and then. I really don't do well with local anaesthetics. By the time he was finished, I was shaking, likely with the effects of the adrenaline in the local anaesthetic. I had to phone my husband at work to come and take me home.

I was told to come back for the other filling.

Spent the rest of the day feeling quite sorry for myself. I had managed to reach the age of 37 with only 1 filling and now here I was with another one and another one to come.


Apparently it is common for there to be caries in the back molars after braces because you can't clean those teeth properly with the metal anchor rings on.

But still...


Implant date is set for 3rd June 2015






1 comment:

Felipe Roberson said...

It’s good to hear that your gums are in the clear, and congratulations for having your braces off! There's no easy way to have straight teeth, and now you are very close to having your perfect smile after getting your teeth cleaned of stains. Although I do hope that you do not have to get an implant from a wobbly tooth. Stay strong, you're almost there!

Felipe Roberson @ Philly Dentist